Friday, July 20, 2012

Post-trip Blogging Begins

Well, my pictures aren't loading well, so I don't have enough on Photobucket to post them yet.  Plus videos always take a ton of time to upload, so the videos I took won't be on for another week, probably (because I have to go the the library to upload them).  But a friend posted a video of the last time our team did the drama, so I'll link that in.  Enjoy!

Team 6 - Spellbound - Never the Same, Panam, 2012 - performed at boys' orphanage

That's a 20-minute video, by the way, so watch it only when you have plenty of time...and internet.

I've been spending the last few days sorting the trip out in my mind and trying to get over how much I miss my team.  Neither are working very well.  Last year in Ecuador, I bonded very deeply with a few of my teammates, but never felt a deep connection with the full group.  This year, I feel far more connected to the whole team.  I miss Maisy getting dogpiled, Andi making weird facial expressions, and Hannah dancing awkwardly.  I miss Alyssa's sense of humor, Mariah's laughter, and Annie's smile.  I miss Bethany sneaking pictures, Robin saying epic quotes, and Lisa dancing.  I miss the stupidly adorable voices Myles is so good at, the energy Beth puts into everything, and the way Cameron and Madison love each other like I've never seen siblings before (Heather and Spenser are amazing that way, too).  And as much as I would love to go through everyone, I have to stop now or I'm gonna cry.
The last day in Ecuador, my team leaders made a deal with the whole group that everyone who came back would ask to be on the same team again.  I didn't when I filled out my application, for two reasons.  One, I figured that if God wanted me on the same team, He'd put me on the same team.  Two, the main reason, I couldn't figure out where to write the request.  (Not kidding.)
When I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, it was harder than I realized it would be to see so many people from last year all together and having fun - without me.  I missed, and still miss, my Ecuador family deeply.  But then I met an amazing woman named Lisa Hughes, and new that no matter how much I missed my old team, working with Lisa would be worth it.  I really can't describe her well, but I'll try.
Lisa has a kinda goofy sense of humor (rather like mine, actually) that she isn't embarrassed of.  She cares for everyone she meets and tries to make them feel welcome wherever she is and whatever she's doing.  Her heart is open to God and sensitive to when He moves.  Lisa has compassion for the lost and turns that compassion into a drive to reach as many of them as possible.  She is an encourager, a leader, and a mom to everyone.
Then I met my roomies (for anyone who didn't catch my implications earlier, Cassie was one of my roomies), and for the first few days I seriously considered asking to switch rooms.   (Again, not kidding.)  Then I fell in love with them.
Andi, Maisy, Hannah, and Alyssa are all probably certifiably insane, and I love it.  I had more fun between 10 and 12 in our room each night than I did in the rest of the trip combined.  And I'd say more, but then they'd kill me for breaking the privacy pact, so sorry.
(Yeah, today is team analysis.  I haven't quite gotten everything else sorted out yet.)
"Cry Night" was a major turning point for the whole team as we got to know ourselves and each other better.  Once again, just what happened is private, but I can tell you something that I learned, or rather had conformation on.  The devil does whatever he can to limit our impact, and he does that by making people feel the opposite of what they are.  It is the beautiful who feel ugly, the loved who feel alone, and the shining stars who feel invisible.  So as long as I can remember the devil tells me I'm opposite of what I am, I have a pretty good picture of how God sees me (teammates, remember this!).
And now I'm getting exhausted, not from the introspection, but from the homesickness.  I miss the beautiful Panama family God let me have for two weeks.  I love you guys, and God bless!

Hugs to you all!

To my leaders and LITs: God knew who I needed to have guiding and helping me.  Thank you so much for being there.
To my roomies: My room's too quiet.  Come visit!  I love you guys. :)
To my Kitties: Rawr rawr *five*  Maybe you couldn't not smile at first, but man, you got good!  God bless you. :)
To the people with the hardest part (mimes, duh):  Thank you guys so much for doing your part.  You made the rest of our jobs easier by doing the hardest work, and whether you believe it or not, that ministered to people (me included).  God bless.
To the toys:  So much of a range of emotional expression!  Haha, you guys did great.  It was a blast working with you.
To Cameron and Myles, Toymaker and Son:  I'm pretty sure the drama wouldn't work without you guys.  Think about it...okay, that's enough thinking.  Cameron, you brought something to the Toymaker that I've never seen done before: God as protector.  Myles, as you grew more comfortable with your part, you started adding bits that made it all yours and really added to the drama; great job.  (And I'll miss the epic little voices you do.)
To Jake:  You came with a smile even though things weren't going how you had hoped, and you stepped up as a leader.  Thank you for blessing our team.
To all the guys:  Thanks for raising the bar.
To my little sis:  Thank you so much for going with me.  It was a joy to experience it with you and watch you do things out of your comfort zone that you probably would have never done at home.  I love you so much, and I wouldn't trade you for anyone else. :) *hugs*

1 comment:

  1. I think your blog is interesting. it gives me some idea of what different missions experiences are like. Keep up the guitar playing and God bless!

    ReplyDelete