Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday

Hello all!  Let´s see if today´s post is any smoother than the last one...
Okay, my last post was on...Friday.  Let´s catch you up.
After FUAGNEM on Friday night, my friend Michael (a girl) and I decided to check out the new hangout, Club Susie.  It´s in a "cave" down on the bottom level of the hotel.  They have a snack bar and tables, and one of the guys from one of the teams is the DJ.  They play entirely clean dance music.  It´s a blast!

Random quote: "Hey, Mom, I joined a gang!  It´s called 'Team 6'." - Robin (Mime)

Saturday morning we woke up and were getting ready for the drama.  We had been told that we were just going to do food distribution, but that fell through, so we were going to do the drama again instead.  But as we were getting ready, we were visited by Lisa (co-head leader and wife of our other head leader, Greg), who told us that the drama was canceled and we were going to go meet one of the native tribes!
We took an hour-long bus ride to a river, and then we canoed up the river for an hour before we reached the village.  There was ceremonial music playing as we went up the steps that had been cut into the hillside, and when we reached the top we saw young boys (the youngest looked about 2) were playing.  I couldn´t have kept rhythm that well at their ages!  It was pretty impressive.
The tribe cooked lunch for us: fried fish and fried plantains.  The plantains tasted like french fries, and the fish was sooooo good. :)

Random quote: "Stop!  Don´t touch me there!  This is my no-no square." - Miles (Toymaker´s Son)

After lunch, they did some dancing for us; first, the women showed traditional dances, then the men joined them for a couples dance based off of Spanish dances.  After the men and women had danced together, the village men pulled some of the girls on our team out to the "dance floor" for a dance.  The last dance was two locals with the two birthday girls on our team (Madison from the plane, and one of our translators).
After the dancing, some of the men got out their paint and started giving us tatoos.  I got a large traditional pattern on my right fore arm, a six inside a heart on my right hand, and our team logo (the super six) on my left upper arm.  (BTW, Mom, they told us through the translators that the tattoos last 10 to 12 days on them, and longer the more fair the skin is, so expect to see them when I get home.)
Right after the dancing, a Panamanian downpour (softer and warmer than a Dutch downpour, but just as thick) started.  It rained the whole time we headed back, and we were soaked when we arrived back at the bus.  The rain had mostly stopped by the time we were back at the hotel, but it was still sprinkling.  Since our balcony is covered, my roomies and I left our stuff hanging out there to dry.
After FUAGNEM, I talked with Lisa for about an hour.  It was an amazing time of encouragement and getting to know eachother.
While I was talking with Lisa, I realized what an awkward stage I´m at.  I´m old enough I can´t really be considered a kid anymore, and I certainly don´t see myself as a kid even though I still have a lot to learn, but most everyone who has known me for even a year still can´t see me as a full adult.  It´s a confusing place to be, but with God´s grace I´ll make it through.

Random quote: "No I´m not confused.  I really like your skirt." - Robin (Mime)

This morning breakfast was at 8 instead of the usual 7.  Team time was at 9 (we talked about the healing of Jairus´ daugher) and morning FUAGNEM was at 10.  It was a powerful message by Susie on being willing to get out of the boat into the storm to follow Jesus.  I was sobbing by the end, as were most people in the room.  Susie is such a gifted speaker, and I am so blessed to be able to hear her.
After FUAGNEM I swam in the (GIGANTIC) pool and showered.  Now I´m typing this update as I wait for it to reach the time for our first EIEIOK (Everything I Ever Intended On Knowing) seminar a little after 4.  The first one I´m going to is led by one of team 6´s LITs, Heather, and it´s on sibling relationships.  Not that I´m about to kill Cassie or anything, I just don´t think it would hurt at all. ;)  The second one I want to go to (which will be after dinner) is led by Marti Pieper, and it is on prayer walking.  I´ve heard it spoken of in various women´s groups at church, but I´ve never really known much about it, so I´m looking forward to that seminar.  And Dana Gresh (a fantastic speaker) is speaking for the evening FUAGNEM, so I´m looking forward to that.  (And for anyone who´s wondering, we only have two FUAGNEMs on Sunday; every other day is just an evening FUAGNEM.)
So, I´m almost out of time here, and that´s all that´s happened here so far.  Catch up with you later!

Random quote: "Dogpile!" - Andi (Spanish Dancer), Alyssa (Kat), and Hannah (Mime); they shout this approximately five times every night (all around 11) as they dogpile on Maisy (Princess).  (They´re all my roomies; that´s how I know this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment